Saturday, October 3, 2009

Death in Venice

I guess my days of posing as a blogger are over! :) It has been a long time since I posted anything here. For the last few weeks, S and I have been working hard on our first MovieStorm machinima, Death in Venice.

Working together with your spouse on a creative project is an experience to have. Now that our joint efforts of last two months are about to come to fruition, I am excited and sad at the same time. I will certainly miss those countless late night discussions and dinner table debates.

The production process of this movie in particular was such a rich experience of creative collaboration, not only between S and I, but also with the initial involvement of NeoNoir, who was originally set to direct this movie. Even though he ended up dropping out of the project, he left a lot of his footprints in this. More than three years ago, he expressed his own interest in incorporating the motif of masks into a hit man movie after hearing a bunch of stories I pitched to him (including what became Death in Venice), and I subsequently wrote the mask motif into the script for him. Some of the mask-related parts are gone now, but the theme left its permanent mark on a deep place of the story. (Watch the movie, and you’ll see.) NeoNoir’s suggestion that we bring some spectacle to the movie by having the climax take place in a “piazza” (as well as his mentioning of “Venetian masks”) sealed the destination of Marc and Julia as well. When he brought up the possibility of having our first killing in a concert hall, Verdi's "Rigoletto" came to haunt the story and never left even after the concert hall turned into a restaurant.

After three years of hibernation and many week's intense labor, the story will be released at TMU Theater on October 4th (7:10 Eastern, 4:10 Pacific).

3 comments:

Norrie said...

Looking forward to the premiere, I think I should manage to stay awake until Midnight for it.
Probably a good time to watch it actually!

I shall listen to Rigoletto this afternoon to get in the mood.

Cathy said...

I am totally stoked to see this! Can't wait for this afternoon!

Killian said...

Words can't express what an experience this was... brilliant script, exquisite visuals... We waited 2 years for this... please say we won't have to wait another 2 for your next one!!!

Truly excellent movie; you MUST see this if you didn't know what machinima is capable of... and even if you did, you should still see it anyway, simply because it is pitch perfect.